KAMPALA, July 13, 2010 – According to Mr. Fred Opolot of the Uganda media center, among the 76 people who have so far been confirmed dead, 28 were Ugandans, 11 Ethiopians/Eritreans, one Irish lady and an Asian. 33 people are still unidentified.
The president Yoweri Kaguta Museveni yesterday visited the Ethiopian Restaurant and Kyadondo Rugby Club where the attacks had taken place and vowed to track down the perpetrators of this incident. The president also visited the injured in Mulago hospital. He declared 7 days of mourning and all flags at public buildings will be expected to fly at half-mast.
The police, the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) are undertaking investigations into these attacks. The National security Council spokesman Mike hammer said the United States is ready to provide any assistance required by the Ugandan government. A senior US official said United States was in contact with its Embassy in Kampala and Federal Bureau of Investigations to help in investigations upon request by the Ugandan government.
The world expresses concern on the bomb attacks
The world has expressed grief over the terrorist bomb attacks in Kampala. Several international figures have sent messages of condolences and expressed interest in helping the Ugandan government in any possible ways. Among these were the US president Barrack Obama who called these cowardly attacks. Somali president Sharif Sheikh Ahmed said this terrorism act will only strengthen the strong bonds between peoples of Somalia and Uganda. The US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the US Government will work closely with Uganda to bring the perpetuators of this crime to justice. Among other international figures that expressed concern were; FIFA President Sepp Blatter, French Minister for Foreign and European Affairs Bernard Kouchner and UK Foreign Secretery William Hague among others.
The AU summit to continue despite of the attacks
Uganda is due to host the AU annual heads of summit next week. However, despite of the bomb attacks, it still plans to host the summit in which more than 50 heads of state or governments are expected to attend.
Several suspects have been arrested by security agencies in connection to the bomb attacks however, the police still decline to give details, saying the investigations are still ongoing.
Please click on the Side bar for more News Print